Sunday, July 1, 2012

I am not here for your pleasure

Oh noes, we have come to the inevitable rant on someone's blog.

Okay, here goes my rant, and then its back to having fun in life:

A huge part of the attraction to Wizard101 is socializing. I personally know of several people on the game who don't even bother with quests, spells, fighting, and all that stuff; instead, they got themselves a fancy costume, and they log on every night, and just spend ALL night long talking to people, and yes, getting involved in drama.

Some would say, "it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round."  Well, from what I have read of philosophers and from socio-economics, it does NOT take all kinds to make the world go 'round. And I am gonna say it, there are some psychos in the game. Fortunately, they live in the Commons and only ever leave to go to their homes for a deeper level of pschyo activity.

Anyway, my rant is more about two things: being accosted in the Commons when passing through or meeting up with friends, and the inconsiderate children out there in the world who have no concept of "other".

Here's my examples: I was on some quest that brought me into contact with lower level wizards, the noobs if you want to use that term. These guys don't pay much attention to the game and spend half of their energy socializing, and maybe half of their energy playing the game. Well, we sometimes cross paths, and they always always always ask for help. I am a nice gal, and don't mind helping out the kiddos, because you never know if they are secretly a pro player who has just started up a fresh character, or if they are an adult who decided to give this very fun game a try.

So, I help them, we click friends, we have good time, then we go our separate ways. Then I find out, later, just who they are exactly. Example: I am in my house, gardening, minding my own business, and POOF!, someone teleports on top of me and starts demanding that I immediately go help them right this second. I ask them, "with what?" And then it turns out to be that they have to go talk to someone or turn a quest in or some other extremely benign menial task. It's like I am their personal minion that they can summon whenever they feel like it. They have no consideration of "other", as in that they are talking to a real person, who thinks and feels and has their own agenda.

They are the ultimate personification of self-centered, like to a degree where you wonder if they have brain damage.

Ok, then there is getting molested in the Commons. A few nights ago, me and my friend were chatting about what quests we should do that evening. Some low level noob comes up and starts saying extremely offensive sexual things to us, and then doing obscene things with his character. So, we changed realms.

Believe it or not, the very next realm had another kid doing the exact, same, thing!!!! And he targeted us!  So, again, we changed realms. Absolutely unbelieveable, the third realm, another kid doing the exact same thing!

At this point me and my friend are not believing in coincidence and we think that it must be one guy with three characters on three realms, or maybe three friends who are communicating and doing this.

So, we change realms a fourth time. Guess what... Yep, another dang kid doing the same disgusting stuff. At this point we just fled the Commons because this was too weird.

But this sort of thing happens all the time. We have noticed that the Commons is not a safe place to hang out. There is all sorts of depravity taking place in the Commons. It's like the Soddom and Gomorrah of Wizard101.

But it sure is annoying when you have to quickly pass through for the pet pavilion or on your way to the Bazaar. Me and my friends know that we can change the chat option to filter that out, but then we can't communicate with one another or have our (very friendly and clean) chats in between quests. And, we need the open chat for strategy during our fights, 'cause let's face it, we are awesome.

So, our primary defense is to flee to realms that are labeled "Perfect", meaning that there are few people on that realm. The "Crowded" realms are where the socializers hang out.

1 comment:

  1. I am an adult and have 3 Characters on Wiz101. I usually quest with my hubby (on my Life character), but sometimes need help with my other characters. I have had the same problems with people friending me and then popping in at the most inopportune times - demanding help. Very Frustrating. Would love to be friends and have some help & company at times. Please look for me, my 3 characters are Danielle SpiritHeart - Lvl 87 Life; Danielle WillowBreeze - Lvl 42 Death, and Danielle GoldenCloud - Lvl 15 Balance. I usually keep to the 'Perfect Realms'. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete